Tuesday, October 14, 2008

False Advertising at Blockbuster Video

I went into my local Blockbuster Video today and they had a table with a sign that said "All Previewed DVD's Buy 2 Get 2 Free". Well I picked out four movies, two of them were 14.99, and the other two were 3.99. When I go to check out the cashier tells me the 14.99 DVD's aren't part of the sale only the ones 9.99 and Under, and a second employee says it's only the ones on the table with the sign. Now the sign said "All Previewed DVD's" not "9.99 and Under DVD's", not "DVD's On This Table" it said "All".

Now I'm not sure what dictionary Blockbuster is using but the English dictionary the word "All" means

1. the whole of (used in referring to quantity, extent, or duration): all the cake; all the way; all year.
2. the whole number of (used in referring to individuals or particulars, taken collectively): all students.
4. every: all kinds; all sorts.

–pronoun
9. the whole quantity or amount: He ate all of the peanuts. All are gone.
10. the whole number; every one: all of us.
11. everything: Is that all you want to say? All is lost.


The cashier eventually gave me credit for the 2 DVD's I should of received free. I also sent a complaint to Blockbuster telling them they need to change the signs, but I doubt they do. It's stuff like this why they are losing business to Netflix, and Gamefly.

And this isn't the first time I've had problems with Blockbuster advertising. When Fellowship of the Rings came out on DVD they had a pre-order campaign where you got a card with 10 free rentals on it when you pre-ordered. The card said 1 free rental a week and weeks start on, I think it was Wed. Well, on Wed. of the second week I went in to use the second rental, and was told new weeks started on Saturday, and they didn't care what the card said. I think I'll just not go to Blockbuster any more.

And here is the rest of it.

Disclaimer

If you follow any links or advertisements to online stores found on this site I earn a small commission.