Monday, February 16, 2009

More Feb. Loot

New Arrivals
Some more of the figures I ordered last month came in. I ordered these from Kid Nemo. They are Yamato's Saki Kasukabe, Kotobukiya's Sango Himeyuri, and FREEing's Mikuru Asahina. With these pictures I tried some backgrounds using poster board. For Saki and Sango I only placed the board behind them. For Mikuru to cut a strip of the board to place under her which looks a lot better. Now for the bonus question. Can anyone spot the dolphin in this picture?



Yamato's Saki Kasukabe
First up is Saki Kasukabe from Genshiken cosplaying as The Chairman from Kujibiki Unbalance. She was sculpted by Yasuhiro Uchijima. This is my first figure from Yamato, and I do have some issues with this particular figure.

Yamato's Saki Kasukabe
Her hair just isn't as nice as some of the other figures I own. When viewed from the rear it just seems kind of flat. And it has no detail underneath the helmet at the back.

Yamato's Saki Kasukabe
There is also a very large seem along her hair. I assume they figured most people would display her with her helmet on, so didn't bother trying to conceal this seem completely.

Yamato's Saki Kasukabe
However from the front her hair doesn't look that bad. Overall, I'd give her a 6/10.

Kotobukiya's Sango Himeyuri
Next is Sango Himeyuri from To Heart 2. Sango was sculpted by Jun (E.V.). This is my first Kotobukiya figure and I have to say I am very pleased with the quality. She just looks so cute sitting there holding her teddy bear.

Kotobukiya's Sango Himeyuri
Kotobukiya's Sango Himeyuri
Her two side antenna are just little metal rods. They make a nice look, but they look like could easily snap off or become bent if your not careful.

Kotobukiya's Sango Himeyuri
Such a cute little bear.

Kotobukiya's Sango Himeyuri
What would you do in this situation?

I give Sango a 8/10

FREEing's Mikuru Asahina
And now my favorite figure of this bunch. Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Not sure who sculpted her because I couldn't find it on the box, at least not in English. This is my second FREEing bunny. I had already purchased Haruhi last month. With Mikuru you can really tell the detail that goes into these FREEing figures. The shading on her outfit and hair is amazing. The shading on Haruhi is good, but because her outfit is black and she has dark hair it doesn't stand out as much.

FREEing's Mikuru Asahina
FREEing's Mikuru Asahina
It took a little while, but I was able to convince Mikuru to let me take some close up shots of her "eyes". I had to make her believe I actually meant her face.

FREEing's Mikuru Asahina
FREEing's Mikuru Asahina
FREEing's Mikuru Asahina
As I was taking these last few shots, I noticed they missed one small detail that kind of stands out on a figure this size. They forgot her star shaped mole

Mikuru gets a 10/10

You can try finding these or other great figures at
Play Asia
J-List
Entertainment Earth
Animenation
Right Stuf

Disclaimer

If you follow any links or advertisements to online stores found on this site I earn a small commission.